We left earlier this morning from QEP after a successful visit finding some hostels within the game park that could potentially house the students for a few days. There is a medical facility or Dispensary just in case as well as affordable housing. We tried t spot some Lion prior to leaving the park but failed.
Speaking of Lions they have Lion's Clubs here. Who would of thought?
We also passed the Equator again. Trevor wanted to test the GPS units accuracy. Not so accurate. We traveled 450 meters north of the Equator to get the GPS to read all 0's! Not sure which is wrong but something was off!
We visited a wonderful Scottish man named Steven that started a project just down the road a little over 2 years ago. There is actually a nice hotel for relatively cheap right next to his house. Another opportunity for us. Nice rooms TV, dining area, and a pub. The views of the Rwenzore (check spelling) Mountains. The highest peak is roughly 16,000 feet. It was WOW!.
Not only did we meet with Steven and discuss his project he had some traditional village food prepared for us! I loved it! Can't really tell you what I had, because I do not remember the names but some kind of thick mushy banana dish, a white dish that was corn based I think, a sauce/broth with some kind of meat in it, and a fried meat as well. I will find out details later. I eat fast anyway but it was rather tasty although I do no think my traveling partners liked it as much as I did!
After lunch, which was on “Africa Time” again, Steven showed us around the area he works. We saw the fields where the program runs it sporting events and by this I mean everything from matches to practice. The children are so funny! Digital technology is amazing I must admit, but they love for their picture to be taken and then you show them the photo you just took. t was big fun for me too! We got to see Steven's program at work. School has just started back so they were running training sessions at the next several sites where I got to knock the ball around a bit with the kids. They love Muzungu's (not sure how to spell this but it means white people) because they do not see us often and I think they were a little imressed by my skills. I know, I know...I have to go all the way to a small village in Uganda to have someone appreciate the skills I do have left.
The boys mainly played soccer while the girls played both soccer, netball, and some just had a ball throwing it around to each other and running. It seems like it has been a long time since I have seen children playing because it is fun. In the Atlanta (and maybe the States as a whole) area sport has become more about competition and getting on the right team with the right coach at the right club in order for my child to get into the right college. Sport here is what sport is...FUN!
I saw soccer pithes/fields set up in the front yard with handmade goal posts and handmade balls. People are playing here because sport is fun and a physical outlet. The power of sport and play was evident today and it was a good reminder of why we came...To learn about the things Uganda can teach us and our students. I was having some fun knocking the ball around with the children that Steven, Trevor, and Ardith had to yell at me to “come on” so we could finish the visit timely.
I could tell you about the view in this part of the country but words have not been invented yet to describe it!
Friday, May 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment